Loco Bloco Guiding Principles
Performance art is a valuable tool in a youth’s physical, mental and spiritual development. A youth that participates in the performing arts develops the life skills necessary to make better choices in school and relationships. These skills include learning to: think critically and creatively, problem-solve, communicate effectively, adapt to diverse situations, collaborate with others, practice self-discipline, and set meaningful goals. Through performance and community engagement, youth learn about themselves and the world through direct exposure to diverse experiences and cultures outside of their daily lives. Furthermore, we believe that inter-generational artistic community provides a vibrant environment for youth to experience mentorship and practice accountability towards others.
• COMMUNITY CLASSES: Specialized workshops and weekly after school programming for youth, providing instruction in a variety of Afro-Latino based drumming, dance, theater, and stilt walking art forms. Classes incorporate creative activities, emphasize problem-solving and build community.
• YOUTH APPRENTICE PROGRAM: The Youth Apprenticeship Program (YAP) is a leadership training program for high school and college aged youth who are interested in using performing arts as a tool to strengthen and create change in their communities.
• LOCO BLOCO’S INTERGENERATIONAL PERFORMANCE ENSEMBLE: Brings together youth and young adults, instructors and professional guest artists to co-create original music and choreography, and perform at as many as 40 different civic, cultural and community venues each year.
• ORIGINAL PRODUCTIONS & CARNAVAL: Loco Bloco’s annual productions brings together over 300 youth, families and artists to present spectacular new music and dance compositions and stunning visuals on stage and at the San Francisco Carnaval parade and festival.
• LOCAL & INTERNATIONAL YOUTH EXCHANGES: Members of Loco Bloco are recognized as cultural ambassadors representing Bay Area youth culture through tours and exchanges both international and domestic. Loco Bloco has traveled to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Guatemala and Brazil.
We succeed when:
• Youth apply creativity and teamwork to their social, academic, professional and community activities.
• Youth utilize creative tools to confidently communicate their truths.
• Youth develop healthy, active lifestyles and a vision for the livelihood of their community.